Monday, October 20, 2008

Thank You Press Enterprise!

I mentioned that I called the Press Enterprise to see if they were doing any articles about the problems with the "yes on Prop 8" signs and reported what happened to me.

Sure enough I was reading the paper this morning and what do you know, they did an article about it. I was pretty pleased with the job they did and I feel like the sentiments that I feel were expressed pretty well. How can we have an open discussion when one side is being intimidated to silence?

We have a family member who is gay. We love her and support her and her partner. I had a discussion with her this weekend about the prop 8 issue. I know where she stands on it and respect that, she knows where we stand and respects us as well. She knows it has to do with our beliefs and what we think is right for our children, it's not that we are against her at all. Tolerance to me means loving someone even if I don't agree with what they are doing in their life. It doesn't mean to me that I have to accept and condone the things they do to accept them as a person.

I commend the press enterprise for reporting on this point of view when much of the media typically seems to be skewed to the left.


Here's the article...


'No on 8' advocates stir intolerance


10:00 PM PDT on Sunday, October 19, 2008

By SHARON KAYE FISHER

I am trying to figure out what tolerance means with regard to Prop. 8.

My good friend has a cousin who is a lesbian. The cousin continues to be an active part of the family, invited to all the family activities.

Another friend's father is gay. This friend visited with his father growing up and his father often hangs out at the son's own family's house now. My husband hires and employs gay and lesbian people who also serve in some of the highest management positions in the company. These actions exemplify tolerance to me.

But all I seem to read in the newspaper and hear on television from those opposed to Prop. 8 is that its supporters are intolerant, hateful and discriminatory.

Yet those same three words describe recent experiences: A friend's car was spray-painted because she had a "Yes on Prop. 8" bumper sticker, and "Yes on Prop. 8" signs have been stolen from yards.

Because of the opposition to Prop. 8 in their workplace, some of my friends are fearful of discussing the initiative or putting "Yes on 8" bumper stickers on their cars.

Why is the opposition intolerant of an open discussion? Why is the opposition intolerant of visible support by an huge number of Californians who favor Prop.8? Why would the opposition create an environment of intolerance, fear and intimidation?

I can't help but think that San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom gave us the answer to all of these questions when he said, "It's gonna happen, whether you like it or not," regarding same-gender marriage. There doesn't appear to be any tolerance by the opposition for a discussion.

Even though 61 percent of Californians voted to support traditional marriage in 2000, there seems to be an intolerant attitude toward having an open and democratic debate as well as a democratic vote. Instead, there appears to be much effort to suppress both.

To me, that doesn't sound like the tolerance necessary in a democracy.

Tolerance is a two-way street. Let's stop the intolerance toward those who are trying to inform voters about Prop. 8. Let's not jump to unfair conclusions about how Prop. 8 supporters treat those who chose a same-gender lifestyle.

Prop. 8 is not anti-gay. Prop. 8 is protective of children and supportive of traditional marriage and family -- which is the fundamental unit of every society. Let's be tolerant enough to at least discuss the perspective of Prop. 8 supporters.

Sharon Kaye Fisher is a resident of Corona.

3 comments:

Summer said...

Good for you! That is awesome that you stood up for something you believe in! I'm glad to hear people are listening!!!

Heather Anderson said...

That is a good article and I am proud of you for standing up for this:)

Andrea said...

Thank you so much for posting the Prop 8 article on your blog. I would have never read it since we don't subscribe to the newspaper at all. It was well written and states exactly how I feel. Thank you Christine for helping promote the article.