Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas

It's feeling a lot like Christmas since I'm too busy to sit down let alone post anything on my blog. I'm waiting for the rice to cook for dinner so I'm taking a moment to try and post something. Granted it's 7:20 I've already dropped Taylor off at mutual and we still haven't eaten dinner yet. (He got a bowl of dinner/no rice in the car)

So I've spent a lot of the post Thanksgiving season running around in various states of anxiety trying to get everything done and planning for the things that I need to get done in the future. Just when I think I'm doing OK I start thinking of all the things I'm forgetting. I completely forgot an orthodontist appointment on Monday, last Sunday I remembered an important wedding that we completely spaced on the night before and I've just remembered the visiting teaching appointments I promised my companion that I would make and the fliers for the class party that I haven't done yet. The list goes on but I won't type it because I already feel the stress flowing through my veins..so we'll pretend I have nothing better to do right now that post on my blog...



Here's us the day after Thanksgiving putting up our Christmas stuff. Ashley is loving rediscovering all the Christmas decorations. Especially her Santa hat...



The best part was Jacob providing the Christmas music as we decorated, in his pajamas at like 4:00 in the afternoon. Taylor was on a camp out and Jeff was in the other room saying "I'll be in to help you in a minute..." By the time his "minute" was up this is what he found...



It must have been Christmas magic...

or a smart husband...

I haven't figured out which yet.



Taylor came back from his camp out and re-discovered his Santa hat. I think his favorite part of Christmas being able to leave the house all month without combing his hair because he's wearing his Santa hat. Taylor said a couple of kids at school said "It's too early for Christmas". Taylor didn't care. Unlike Jacob who didn't even last 1/2 the day with his Santa hat because nobody else had one on.

After this semi-relaxing weekend December started for reals and the craziness began.

Here is us at the LPA Christmas party that we helped with on Saturday. The kids had fun playing with their LP friends, eating potluck and sitting on Santa's lap.

Ashley wants pet shop toys, a cheer leading outfit and skates...



Jacob wants to get off Santa's lap quick.....



Santa wants Taylor off his lap quick....



So far I have been trying to simplify and I'm starting to not be shy to turn down invitations that I just don't have time for. We cancelled our traditional Relief Society dinner, I'm skipping cookie exchanges, candle parties, and lunch invitations. I sat on my hands and didn't volunteer to host Jeff's family for Christmas (because I'm already hosting my family) and I'm trying really hard to just focus on the family name that we drew in the gift exchange and not feel pressure to provide hand made presents for all the families that we didn't pick. So we'll see how that all goes.

The good thing about Christmas is the opportunity to get together with friends and family. Unfortunately we try and cram it all in in one month. It's impossible to do it all. I'm trying to make the best choices I can with my time and not think about the alternatives that I missed.

One of the opportunities I'm glad we took was the Anderson's invitation for a family Christmas music concert this Sunday. We had kids playing harmonicas and trombones, Dad's playing guitars and horns and of course there was lots of piano. It was very cute and very fun. Thanks Andersons! I'm sure you were glad when we all finally left your house, but it was a great way for us to get in the Christmas spirit.

No comments: