Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Universal...Fun on the Fourth...at the beach...

Jeff finished his fiscal year end on June 31st. So after a lot of late nights and hard work he was ready to take a day off and have some fun with the family. He took off the Friday before Fourth of July and we went to Universal Studios.

It was a crazy busy day to go to an amusement park but since we have Jeff's handicap stuff it wasn't bad. I think our favorite attraction was the Backlot tour.

Taylor got picked to help perform in the Foley demonstration...

and we finished the day with a meal at our new favorite restaurant at Universal City Walk Wolfgang puck's. It beats amusement park food (and prices) any day.

The next day Taylor and I reluctantly woke up early to do our 5K run/walk before the pancake breakfast. Taylor ran...I walked.

Unfortunately too much running and not enough food made Taylor feel sick at the end. I had enough time to eat a pancake and take this cute picture of Jeff holding Aiden before I had to take Taylor home.

Luckily once Taylor could lay down and rest and eventually eat he started feeling better...then is was off to the Bagley's for some forth of July fun in the pool.

Burger boys trying not to burn anything. (JK they did a great job cooking them)

I had to almost wrestle Jacob out of the pool to eat (too much fun)...

And I always knew where to find Ashley... away from the majority of the splashing :)

It felt like old times hanging out with friends including the Banagases back from Costa Rica (including Wes who surprised Shawna by flying back early).

After the Bagleys we came home to clean up and then drove out to meet Jeff's family in Corona for fireworks. Dale and his kids even drove down from Paldale.

My kids always enjoy time with their cousins.

Steve always enjoys the live music at these events...my kids always enjoy the food.

Here we have some cotton candy bigger than Ashley...

There were smoothies, candy, chicken, the best shaved ice ...

and of course Kettle Corn and carmel corn. The Best!

Then finally the fireworks...

After fourth of July weekend was over Taylor was off to scout camp and I was left with two. So the kids wouldn't feel to lonley without Taylor we had Jenae and Jolene over for a cousin sleep over.

We swam, had pizza, pulled the bed out for a movie night until late and then woke up the next for more swimming, hanging out and a little time at the park.

The next day we packed up and went with Jeff on what ended up being a last minute trip to Laguna Beach. He got the invitation Sunday night to attend an overnight conference in Laguna Beach at the Sand and Surf hotel. We were pleasantly suprised when we were shown to our room. It was a great room even before...

we saw the view from the balcony...

It reminded us of Hawaii. I could've sat on the balcony all day! Jeff got to enjoy it for about 5 minutes before he was off to his meetings and then all the kids wanted to do was close the window (they said it was too loud) and close the blinds (they said it was too bright). Crazy kids!!! I indulged them for a little bit and then I took them swimming.

When we got back we cleaned up and took the kids to dinner...at Jack in the Box...and then snuggled them up rented a movie for them and then was off to our nice
dinner with New York Life a couple floors away.

Before dinner I watched this wedding being performed on the beach along with the joggers and kids playing in the sand next to them...Crazy.

Jacob and Ashley were perfectly content snuggling up in the room watching a movie instead of coming to dinner with us. In fact Jeff came to tuck them in bed. Their movie was over and they were going to sleep before we even got our entree!

The next morning I ordered them room service for breakfast. After a few bites they were done. I made them eat more because it cost so much!

I finally pulled them away from the TV and the dark room (I was on the balcony going over Visiting teaching stuff and people watching) to stroll along the beach. They complained until they got on the sand and then they loved it.

After our walk we changed into swim stuff and then came out to enjoy the beach and the pool. Even though I had snacks, sand toys and chairs, towel and umbrellas (provided by the hotel) the kids didn't last too long. They said it wasn't fun without friends to play with. So we ended up back at the pool before long.

Jeff got done with his meetings with just enough time to pack up and check out of our room. Poor guy never even got to put his foot in the pool or step on the sand. We considered staying another night so he could enjoy it but thought better about it once we realized it would come with a $500.oo price tag.

Instead we went down the coast and checked out some of the tide pools...

We loved looking at all the crabs, the sea anenomes and the fish swimming around in them...

Aftwards we topped off our day with dinner at the Rusty Pelican. The kids loved it there and gained a new appreciation for fish. (We always tell them when we go out to dinner that we are going to eat fish and then they have no desire to go).

Driving home real life hit again as we remembered that Jeff had stake meetings that night. He raced home to make them as I unpacked and got the kids to bed.

Over the next two days I had a funeral and lunch to help with, a going away party for friends that were moving away, welcoming Taylor back from scout camp (along with all his dirty clothes), our first Murder Mystery party and a family get toegether for Jeff's cousin who is being deployed to Iraq in a couple of weeks and lots of shopping, picking up stuff and planning for the Stake Dance that Jeff helped with until midnight on Saturday. Luckily Steve and Tahna returned the favor and had Jacob and Ashley over for a cousin sleep over which kept them occupied for part of our craziness. Thanks Steve and Tahna!!

1 comment:

Matt and Maggie said...

Who wouldn't want cotton candy as big as themselves? I'd be in heaven. :)
You always have the greatest pictures to share. Awesome!